Qualifications for Membership
- Be in 4th-12th grades in Northeast Tennessee.
- Be able to act sensibly and responsibly in varied settings- in front of peers, in the community, around leaders, adult organizations, for media and others.
- Always present yourself as a leader in the community – remembering that this is a board of a privileged select few students.
- Use good behavior at all meetings and events.
- Always be respectful of leaders and other members when they are speaking.
- No horseplay at any events or meetings. Rude comments or actions will not be tolerated.
- Commit to remain tobacco, drug, and alcohol free.
- Be present, dressed appropriately and on time for coalition meetings and events.
- Follow through with things you commit to do.
We want to facilitate an environment that feels safe for ALL. One of the things we do at meetings and events is request the use of “oops” or “ouch.” If a student feels triggered by something or uncomfortable with language used, they can say one of these words and our group will discuss what happened and how to make sure everyone is comfortable in the future. If, at any time, a student is found to be bullying, excluding or otherwise targeting any specific student or specific group, consequences will be serious (up to dismissal as a coalition member).
- Bring ALL members To The Table To Make Decisions
- Create A Multicultural Environment
- Discuss ANY Expression of a Negative Personal Beliefs
- Encourage Oops & Ouch to be Used as an Alert to a Trigger in ALL Interactions
- Build Authentic Relationships & Assist Others to Do the Same
- Allow Open Conversation on Hard Topics Without Fear
- ALWAYS Use Your Trauma-Informed Lens
- Never Allow Someone’s Experience to Be Discredited
- Use Language Often That Ensures Students Know Your Space is Safe
(Adapted from #DOINGTHEGOODWORK)